What is FacePRO (Panasonic Facial Recognition System) ?
Panasonic FacePRO can identify faces that are difficult to recognize within common video surveillance technology.
These situations include reading faces at an angle of up to 45 degrees to the left or right or 30 degrees up or down, with a 90% accuracy rate when detecting faces partially hidden by sunglasses or face masks.
FacePRO also has high accuracy reads in matching faces taken from up to ten-year-old passport images.
-Specific faces can be registered in advance to send an alarm when they are detected. The faces of repeat shoplifters and wanted criminals,etc. can be registered in the facial recognition security/surveillance system from data recorded in the past.
Information can also be shared between facial recognition systems by importing generic photo data in the JPEG format, etc. Alarms can notify the operator by displaying pop-ups on the screen, emitting warning sounds, or flashing the camera on the map, etc.
-Face images can be used to perform searches.
For example, face images of suspicious people detected on the sales floor can be searched to track information on a timeline, including what time they entered the store and which sales floor they passed. Whether suspicious people have shoplifted, etc. after entering the store can also be immediately searched for and checked by the facial recognition security/surveillance system "FacePRO".
- Since October 18, 2017, three units of Panasonic's facial recognition gate have been put into operation at Tokyo International Airport's immigration control. Without the need for prior registration of biometric data, the system compares photographic data of the traveler's face in the IC chip embedded in the person's passport with a photo taken at the facial recognition gate to verify the identity.
Reference:Panasonic's Facial Recognition Gate Selected by Ministry of Justice
- Jumbo Ten Brink Food Stores in the Netherlands installed Panasonic security cameras and a facial recognition server as part of their commitment to their ‘zero tolerance shoplifting policy.’
Reference:Panasonic helps to make JUMBO stores safer / Netherlands
- Avid football fans gather at stadiums across Europe, but sometimes that enthusiasm can turn to dangerous behavior.
See how Panasonic’s facial recognition system helps to solve this problem.
Reference: A stadium where everyone can watch matches in peace:Facial Recognition Solution
FacePRO Main Features
Registered Face Detection
One of the major advantages of the Facial Recognition Solution is the level of control it gives you from a central point of management.
Thanks to the direct connection between camera and server, you can control and gather insight from up to 20 remote cameras from one server, at the same time. With face matching and visual analysis carried out by the system in real time, your operator can easily access any recorded images related to that face or customer, via the GUI in their monitoring software.
- When it is matched with registered people, alarm of face matching is output in real-time, and display an alarm history in the list.
- Specified screen image can be played back on control monitor with double-clicking on an alarm history.
Unregistered Face Detection (New Feature): Real-time detection of people who are NOT registered.
-The Facial Recognition Server Software(Ver2.0 or later) shall set registered face detection or unregistered face detection* in a facial recognition server.
*Unregistered face detection setting can be used both of Unregistered Face Detection and Registered Face Detection simultaneously
- The Facial Recognition Server Software in unregistered face detection setting shall connect up to 10 Panasonic i-PRO cameras with best shot function to a single server depends on the number of people passing and the retention period of the face image.
- Facial Recognition Server Software in unregistered face detection setting shall be performed detection of unregistered face at three seconds collates with 30,000 registered faces after receiving the face thumbnail to facial recognition server.
The facial recognition software runs silently in your system, collecting data on each face that it detects; this data is then stored within an easily accessible database.
A user will then be able to access this database, and will be given the option to select a particular face. With this functionality, the user can choose to set an alarm to be sounded upon future detection of this subject, or simply track a particular person's movements in chronological order throughout all of the cameras in the system.
- Face images that camera detected are stored, and it can be searched later.
- By searching the face DB, you can display the result of each cameras in chronological order and find movement locus of persons.
- Specify camera or date in detected face images and display the result in the list in similarity order.
Face Registration Up to 30,000
People Counting, Age and Gender Statistics
The software also features an analytics section. In this area, a user is given the ability to analyse statistics such as people counting, and also allows them to detect age and gender. The system will then display the relevant information in an accessible manner.
- Count people of detected face and evaluate their age and gender.
- Display the result on the screen with statistical graph.
- The statistical data can be saved as a CSV file for analytical use.
Basic System Connection Example
The processes involved with the use of the software can be seen in the images below.
for Video Insight
- The deep learning technology used in the new software was jointly developed with the National University of Singapore and improves facial recognition performance by up to 500%*4 compared to conventional systems.
*4 Rejection rate reduced to 20% when the wrong person acceptance rate is set to 0.01 with the IJB-A face image dataset.
- A unique algorithm that combines deep learning, a machine learning method, with a similarity calculation method that suppresses errors, enables recognition in situations that were difficult with conventional facial recognition technology, such as when the face is angled (up to 45 degrees to the left or right or 30 degrees up or down), partially hidden with sunglasses or a surgical mask*5, or changed by aging.
*5 Scheduled for launch by the end of 2018
- High performance Deep Learning facial recognition function distinguishes face orientation, sunglasses, facial aging change
Matching face Registered face
Horizontal range : ±45°
Matching face Registered face
Vertical range : ±30°
Matching face Registered face
Matching face Registered face
Ten years ago
Facial aging change
- The iA function enables cameras to automatically detect the scene and automatically optimize the settings accordingly to improve the detectability of the video images. The camera automatically detects the moving objects, movement speed, faces, and light intensity (day/night/headlights) found in video that are usually hard to see due to subject movement and backlight, and optimizes the settings in real-time and capture more optimal video of the subject.
- The Best Shot License Key included with this software can be installed on Panasonic i-PRO EXTREME series network cameras (sold separately) to automatically select the images suitable for facial recognition from the multiple face images captured when a person passes in front of the camera, and send only those selected images to the server. This enables high-quality images suitable for facial recognition to be sent without putting a load on the server.
System Cost Reduction
- With conventional facial recognition systems, all captured images are sent to the server, and the server performs face detection and facial recognition, which concentrates the load of data processing on the server. Systems also tend to be large-scale because of the large bandwidth required to send all the images and the high capacity hard drive space required to save those images.
- Using Panasonic’s system that combines this product with cameras that include the iA function allows faces to be detected by the camera and only the Best Shot images that contain faces to be sent to the server, which dramatically decreases network load and eliminates the need for large bandwidth. Performing facial recognition on the server using the Best Shot images reduces server load and hard drive capacity requirements as well as permitting up to 20*6 network cameras to be connected to a single server.
- With this Panasonic system, it is no longer necessary to send the data-intensive high resolution images to a server, unlike conventional systems. This delivers high-precision facial recognition while dramatically decreasing network traffic, transmission costs, and network construction costs.
- When using Panasonic’s system with 10 or more network cameras connected, costs can be reduced by about 40 to 50% compared to conventional systems that do not use the Best Shot function.
*6 The number of cameras that can be connected depends on the number of people passing by the camera and the retention period for face images.
Simple batch registration of a maximum of 10,000 faces is possible with the standard Facial Recognition Server Software (WV-ASF950). The optional Face Registration Expansion Kit (WV-ASFE951W) enables registration of up to 30,000 faces at large-scale facilities.
Integrated management with i-PRO video surveillance system
Face detection, facial recognition, and tracking with recorded video can be performed in the same GUI by performing integrated management with the WV-ASM300 or WV-ASE231W client software for Panasonic i-PRO video surveillance systems. This eliminates the need for the dedicated operation and management required for conventional facial recognition systems and enables work to be centralized.
The situation of FacePRO Press Release
- Date : Feb 20, 2018
- Place : Tokyo and Osaka, Japan
FacePRO Press Release (Feb 20,2018)
FacePRO*1 Facial Recognition Solution automatically matches a person’s face using live or recorded video from Panasonic i-PRO cameras to a database of enrolled faces and performs notification and alerting of face matches.
Featuring a core engine that boasts the world’s highest facial recognition performance*2, this high-precision facial recognition software can identify faces that are difficult to recognize with conventional technologies, including faces at an angle of up to 45 degrees to the left or right or 30 degrees up or down, and those partially hidden by sunglasses.
In Addition, the new software features the "iA (intelligent Auto) mode"*3 that automatically adjusts settings for the camera to shoot optimal images best suited for facial recognition. When it is used with Panasonic's i-PRO EXTREME series network cameras installed with the “Best Shot License Key” that comes bundled with the software, only the “Best Shots” will be sent to the server for facial recognition. The combination of Panasonic core devices and the face recognition software maximizes the performance of the software’s core engine to achieve high-precision recognition. The company plans to add a function to recognize partially covered faces with a surgical mask, which is difficult with conventional systems, by the end of this year.
Furthermore, using this software with cameras equipped with the iA function enables image analysis to be performed on the camera instead of the server to send only the best images to the server. This will result in reducing server and network loads, which leads to overall system cost reductions. In the case of 10 or more network cameras are connected to the system, the costs can be reduced by about 40 to 50% compared to conventional systems that do not use the Best Shot function.
Panasonic will continue to improve its security/surveillance-related products and provide various solutions to meet increasingly diversifying and evolving customer needs, such as facial recognition solutions for integrated management with existing video surveillance systems. By providing these solutions, the company is aiming to become a ”total integrator” capable of contributing to customers’ frontline operations.
Panasonic’s Deep Learning Facial Recognition Software has the following features:
1. High precision:
- The world’s highest facial recognition engine as evaluated by NIST (IJB-A face challenge)
- iA function and Best Shot images maximize facial recognition engine performance and provide high recognition precision
2. System cost reduction: Send only the “Best Shot” images to reduce server load and network load
3. System expandability:
- Register up to 30,000 faces (Available as an option)
- Integrated management with i-PRO video surveillance system: Enables integrated management of a facial recognition system and existing video surveillance system with the same GUI
*1 FACEPRO is a registered trademark or trademark of either Panasonic i-PRO Sensing Solutions Co., Ltd. or Panasonic i-PRO Sensing Solutions Corporation of America.
*2 In April 2017, the product achieved the highest level of facial recognition performance in the world in a comparison test (IJB-A Face Verification Challenge Performance Report/IJB -A Face Identification Challenge Performance Report) of NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) of the United States, one of the most authoritative institutes in the world.
*3 A function that utilizes the technology of Panasonic's "LUMIX" consumer digital cameras to capture optimal images for facial recognition by automatically detecting the moving objects, movement speed, faces, and light intensity (whether the scene is day or night) found in video that is usually hard to see due to subject movement and backlight, in order to enable real-time optimization of settings.